ICAI and ICMA have entered into a mutual recognition agreement based on an extensive review of the competencies and rigor of their proprietary certifications. ICMA recognizes ICAI members who have successfully passed the ICAI final examination. Individuals who attained the ICAI qualification through a mutual recognition agreement with another organization are not eligible for certification under this agreement. Proof of ICAI certification is required. See below for procedures.
Procedure for ICAI members (ACMA & FCMA ) to obtain IMA’s CMA certification
1. Please be sure that your membership dues to the ICAI have been paid. ICAI membership fees are due on April 1st each year and must be paid prior to submitting your application for IMA membership and CMA certification and for renewal in subsequent years. To apply for IMA Membership, you must be an active member of ICAI in good standing. To renew your IMA membership, your ICAI dues must be paid in full.
2. The ICAI will send confirmation of your ICAI membership status directly to IMA. To request this confirmation, send the application (see below) to the ICAI along with a fee of INR 2000 (for members residing in India) or US$100 (for members residing outside India) by check payable to “The ICAI of India” payable at Kolkata.
3. For renewal of IMA membership in the subsequent years, you will be invoiced directly by IMA for your annual IMA membership dues. In addition, you must request that the ICAI confirm your ICAI membership status directly to IMA. Your request to the ICAI must include the certification fee of INR 1000 (for members residing in India) or US$50 (for members residing outside India).
4. When renewing your membership in IMA, be sure that your ICAI membership dues and other fees are fully paid and up to date.
5. ICAI members can apply for IMA membership online at IMA’s website. Enter the “Online Store” select “Membership Products” in the left hand side bar, scroll down to the “Professional Membership,” and click on “Join”. After completing the membership application you will be in your Shopping Cart. Then click on “All Other Products” select “Certification,” click on “Entrance Fee” then scroll down to “ICAI Entrance Fee” which you should add to your cart. You can then complete your purchase.
6. To maintain CMA certification, all CMAs must earn 30 continuing Professional Education credits per year (including two credits in the subject of Ethics). (See Maintaining Your Credential). Continuing education credits can be used to satisfy requirements for both ICAI and CMA certifications. Under the IMA/ICAI partnership, certified members seeking mutual recognition must maintain membership in both IMA and ICAI.
7. Contact Mr. Kaushik Banerjee, Additional Director-cum-Joint Secretary, The Institute of Cost Accountants of India, 12 Sudder Street, Kolkata – 700 016 Phone: 91-33-22521031/1034/1035/1492/1602/1619, Fax: 91-33-22521723, E-mail: membership.kb@ICAI.org for any query.
Contact IMA’s Member Services Team to answer questions about IMA membership and CMA certification. Contact IMA Member Services at (800) 638-4427 (North America) or +1 (201) 573-9000 (Outside North America), or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Format of Application
The Institute of Cost Accountants of India
12, Sudder Street,
Kolkata – 700 016.
Sub: CMA Certification by IMA USA
I wish to apply to IMA USA for their CMA Certification and request you to issue a certificate to them directly with a copy to me certifying that I have successfully passed the Final Examination of ICAI and am a member of ICAI.
Requisite fee of US$100/INR 2000 by Demand Draft drawn in favour of “The ICAI of India” payable at Kolkata, India, is enclosed herewith.
Full address with Zip/Pin Code: ____________________
Phone no.: Landline & Mobile E-mail:
Encl: Demand Draft No. ________ dated ________ for US$100/INR 2000 drawn in favour of “The ICAI of India” payable at Kolkata, India